expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Tuesday 29 October 2013

Learning to make a loaf at Borough Market's new bakery, Bread Ahead


London’s brand new bakery Bread Ahead have gravitated from their Borough Market stall to set up shop and bread school in the vast ex-store rooms of the food market. Not content with rolling out rolls and bashing out baguettes, they are starting a breaducation.

I was invited to trial their all day bread making course and see what big plans owner Matt and his team of master bakers have up their sleeves.

Although I consider myself a foodie, I am a baker novice. Put off by pal’s tales of moulding starters and non-rising sour dough, I made the decision long ago to leave it to the professionals (or supermarkets) to bake what I dunk in my soup and spread my jam on.

Kitted out in aprons, the group huddled around the table. On my left, a head chef from a top restaurant and on my right, an artisan butcher. Oh crumbs, I thought, have I bitten of more than I can chew?

“Has anyone NOT baked before?” asked Emmanuel, our teacher and master baker. I scanned the room and mistook someone itching their elbow for a hand raising and too late mine was gingerly hovering above my head. Busted.


“Don’t worry” Said cheery Emmanuel, “we are here to show you it’s easy!”

Read the rest of my article on Below the River here

@breadahead

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...