expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Tuesday 2 April 2013

Jean Jullien



I work in Shoreditch, where every alley way is layered with street art and every road peppered with pop up exhibitions. However, it's very easy to spend a lunch hour, in front of the computer sort of on Facebook, sort of doing work, sort of eating and sort of not seeing anything.

Jean Jullien Says, Allo? exhibition poster

What a waste of time and location, so I have decided that I am going welcome the weekend by spending Friday lunchtimes checking out East London's creative offerings, whatever they may be. I kicked things off with French artist and illustrator, Jean Jullien at Kemistry Gallery, Charlotte St.


My poster from his solo show in Edinburgh 2010

I discovered Jean Jullien when he did a solo show at Analogue books in Edinburgh (possibly the best little art bookshop outside of London) while at art school. A group of us flocked to the private view, where he happily drank a few beers with us, and we had a peep at his beautiful, bold, often humorous screen printed illustrations. 

'Jean Jullien Says, Allo?' was his first solo show in London. It dealt with the subject of communication. The walls were tiled with witty screen printed posters commenting on technology's impact on our lives. 

iPhones a a gig
One of his posters jokingly referred to the iPhone's multiple presence at a gig. It reminded me of my experience at Jessie Ware's gig last week, where I found I got a much better view watching her from the screen of the person in front of me's smart phone than failing to glimpse her through the partings of the big haired fans.


I saw myself and my friends harshly but truthfully depicted in his screen print of people enconsed in their iPhones below the slogan 'Where did all the fun people go?' I vowed to look up more, shut my laptop, put my phone on silent, stop tweeting and perhaps not 'like' so many Instagram pictures of food.



Uh oh. That didn't last long. I've just realised the laptop and Twitter have had starring roles in the writing of this blog post. Oh well, Jean Jullien is great and you should definitley check him out, sadly not at Kemistry becuase I went on the last day, but have a look at his website on your laptop/iPad/smart phone now, and while you're at it Kemistry Gallery has some good talent coming up too.




No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...