expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Wednesday 23 January 2013

Spend a Sunday... Snow X Oysters

Oysters!
As london was covered in a thick white blanket of snow, the only thing left to do was get the wellies on and take cover in a nice warm pub.

Saudage roll with homemade brown sauce
We headed straight for The St John's Tavern in Archway, a firm favourite pub lovers in search of good food. We kicked things off with a pint of ale and the best sausage rolls I have ever tasted with some home made brown sauce, perfectly sweet and spicey.

Homemade bread... still warm!



I let slip to my friend that my new found seafood eating ways had meant I had never tried an oyster before. Then along came 6. After a squeeze of lemon, a drop of tabasco, some shallot vinegar and the advice to chew twice and swallow, I only managed half a chew before the alien texture got the better of me and I gulped it down in one. I was a fan of the warm spicy after feeling the tabasco left in my throat and but I would be lying if I said the slimeyness didn't get the better of me. Next time, I will try not to be quite so pathetic about the it all!

Prawn and scollop pic

The prawn and scollop pie served in a shell came next. It was comforting and delicately hearty and the huge scollop left whole in the middle won me round.
A roast pork and beef sealed a brilliantly authentic Sunday, washed down with a caraf of Pinot Noir. The pork could have taken a leaf out of the tender beef's book as it was a bit dry but the apple sauce saved the day. I wished it snowed more in London so I could use the excuse of just going down the road every time I wanted to spend whole day in such a great pub.







No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...