expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Wednesday 18 June 2014

Bathroom Update: My first DIY challenge

So the bathroom is midway through its makeover. For anyone on a budget, there is nothing more annoying than paying someone to do a job they don't do properly...





Above is the builder's attempt to do the sealant. Lumpy, thick and just so wrong. I mentioned in Post 1 that I was going to try and do some of it myself. I was thinking more along the lines of putting up a shelf or painting a wall, but my DIY skills were tested earlier than I thought.



I wanted to make the whole process as easy as possible. After a trip to Homebase I discovered a lot about sealant. Riveting? No. Useful? yes.

Not wanting to faff around with the big ones you put inside a gun, I found this Unibond Go, which has a nozzle already built in and is really easy to use.



Here's what it looked liked after I had scraped the first layer off - not a pretty sight.


 Me smoothing down the sealant with my finger dipped in Fairy liquid so it doesn't get stuck. Can you see the bath is full of water? That's another tip I learnt: Always fill the bath up before applying the sealant because the weight of the water can cause the bath to drop a couple of mm and break the sealant (like it did the first time).


So here are the results... I'm really pleased. It was so much easier than I had thought and it's always a good feeling to know you can do something that you would have paid someone else to do.




The only thing I would change if I was to do it again would be to use clear sealant around the wooden shelf as the white is a bit bright - but I think I can live with that.




No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...