expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Thursday 12 June 2014

Day Trip: Bermonsey Street, SE1

I was around London Bridge for work so I thought I would spend a sunny hour wandering down Bermondsey Street... and whatta treat it was.


Jutting up against the River Thames, Bermonsey was once a major part of London's River trade. Abandoned for decades, it was given a new lease of life in the eighties, bringing with it the inevitable cool bars, coffee houses and restaurants. Bermondsey Street is full of foodie spots, from Italian Zucco  and round the corner, there's Maltby Street Market, where a swell of traders decamped from Borough Market on the weekends. when I went, local workers were spilling out of their offices to perch on the stools in the windows of little wine bars, which annoyingly I didn't get a chance to sample as I was meeting my friend for dinner... Next time!

An original?

The designer in me was drawn to the striking typography, some original and some a nod to Bermondsey's industrial roots (which is the subject of most of my pictures). Tanner and Co is a restaurant, bar and warehouse with a great sign.





I found this tiled sign on the wall of The Woolpack pub. I wonder how old it is?

Sign outside The Woolpack pub

At one end of Leathermarket Street, I stumbled across this car garage in an odd white brick tiled building. Look at the freaky horse heads with no ears!






Some more modern sign painting on Morrocco Street.



Beautiful stencilled type sprayed on to a door.



There's something so handsome about small square pained windows and Bermondsey Street was full of them, most painted in bright colours, like this purple one.


Purple window

I have a real thing for old shops converted into homes that still keep the original fronts, especially when they look as beautiful as the two below. They are a rare find in the capital because London councils won't easily change a commercial building in to a residential one.





Another lovely building front - nice blue iron work on the windows.



Amidst all the winding streets, I found a green space: Leathermaker Gardens with its spectacular view of the shard and full of roses that smelt amazing.



 I spotted this encouraging unlit neon sign in the window of one of my favourite creative agencies, Marmalade.



3 Reasons to go Back

La Grotta Ices

Spa Terminus


If it's sunny, head to La Grotta Ices in an arch at Spa Terminus and try one of the unusual, often foraged flavours like Kumquat, Blood Orange + Bergamot. Food manufacturers have taken over the railway arches - it's wholesale all week apart from Saturdays. 


The Scoop


The outdoor amphitheatre on the river host free events all summer long, from film screenings, to bootcamp. Wimbledon is be screened there so I'll be grabbing a Pimm's and cheering on Murray.

Bermondsey Street Festival 


Last year 24,000 people revelled in the annual celebration of art, music, food and fashion. This year the fun is happenening on 20th September. Follow them on Twitter for more info @BermondsStFest




No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...